A bonus today, she actually crawled up into Julian’s lap and settled there for a little cuddle time, catching both of them off guard. Her initial hesitancy around Julian, the only male she has spent any time with, faded during our second week here. She loves to play with him, walk while holding his hand, be carried by him, etc. However, until today, it has always been Sara’s lap that she crawls to for cuddle time, quiet time, holding or general comfort. Yet twice today she turned to Julian.
We like to think this is attachment occurring one cuddle at a time.
As usual, though, few things solicit the pure joy expressed when her caretaker, Migul, walks in the room to retrieve her at the end of our visit. As soon as Migul scoops her up, Zoe starts waving paka paka (bye bye). She knows the routine and is ready to get on with it. The fact that she is as attached as she is to her caretaker is a very good thing. It means she is able to form attachments (a concern for some children) and will attach to us in the same way. Plus, we experience her smiles and outstretched arms (in OUR direction) when Migul brings her into the playroom every day so we know she has accepted us into this portion of her schedule.
Zoe loves to kiss one of the dolls in the room. Her kiss consists of opening her mouth wide and vocalizing “ahhhhh.” It’s very cute. She will lean toward the doll with her mouth open, make contact, then quickly turn away, scrunch up her face and giggle. Same routine, every day.

Sometimes it is difficult to know when to be insulted and when to be amused.
The cuddles with Dad were not captured on camera. Mom will have to suffice for the time being.

4 comments:
I'm just catching up on posts as I can't check as often during the week (I'm afraid that my work's internet police will catch me surfing!). Zoe looks like a very happy baby and definitely your child. She seems right at home. And very silly. I LOVE the photos.
I love the pictures too. She is SO FUN! ya'll just "fit together" really well. she's a honey!!
I love seeing Zoe pictures. What a little sweetie. It was great meeting up with you on Sunday. A lot of what you said about is true. These first few days are tremendously challenging. But we hope things are on the upswing right now.
Paka-paka
She is just adorable and I so enjoy checking in every day to get a Zoe moment. Love the story how she's warmed up to Julian. Your story is truly an inspiration.
Post a Comment