Tuesday, 25 March 2008

The Day Before…

In international adoptions in general, and Kazakhstan adoptions in particular, one is always faced with that glass half full, glass half empty dichotomy. Perhaps the best description for Kaz adoptions is that the glass is always full – it just contains differing proportions of air and water (and these proportions can change in an instant). So then why this introduction in riddles? A very good question indeed. Perhaps to stave off the use of explicit profanities by the parents on a public blog (read daily by both sets of in-laws) – but we digress, somewhat. We have alluded in our earlier postings to our ongoing difficulties in obtaining actual, physical custody of our now legal daughter, Zoe Yerkezhan. And we have also mentioned that we believed that we would finally obtain custody tomorrow (Wednesday).

As in every aspect of this process, nothing is ever as it seems. Today we entered into the (not entirely unanticipated) debate that would have continued to withhold custody from us for an even more extended period of time. Did we agree? Heck no! But being cautious around this somewhat delicate matter (and realizing that everything is entirely beyond our control), we managed to resolve the “outstanding issues” sufficiently to convince “those that be” to allow us to take custody of our beloved daughter tomorrow, as hoped for. Presciently, Julian permitted Sara to perform all of the negotiating for fear of stepping beyond the bounds of good taste. Read into this process whatever you will (and I am sure that many of you can understand that there are many issues that will not be disclosed here), we are extremely happy to have achieved this ultimate resolution.

Tomorrow Zoe is ours for keeps! Enough said on that matter (until the posting tomorrow, of course).

So today, our visit with Zoe turned out to be absolutely delightful. She is over her malaise and back into her regular “fighting fitness”. Full of mischief, smiles, laughs, giggles, and trouble. The Zoe we have come to know and love. Enough trouble to last a lifetime. And we are counting on this to progress with absolute glee. For all of our lifetimes!

Finally we would like to wish a very happy birthday to Julian’s father, Grandpa John. May this year bring you more health and happiness than you could have thought conceivably possible. Plus a beautiful granddaughter.

The Yeomans clan anchored by the birthday boy in the centre.


10 comments:

Catalina said...

I am really surprised what a big family you have, seems every day is a celebration for you! Thats wonderful! Happy birthday, to the Grandfather! and good luck for tomorow when Zoe will be yours forever!
Our court day has been delayed for Monday and we will be in Almaty on Tuesday!This of course, if nothing else changes again! I will be thinking of yeomans family of 3 tomorow!

Angela said...

I am sorry that you have had difficulty actually taking custody of your daughter. Geez. I hope that tomorrow night you are physically a family, together in your apartment.

P.S. I love the photo of her you selected for the blog in the top right corner. It is so, so cute.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

The final countdown!!! Can't wait to see the pics of Zoe making her big break from the Baby House

Amy said...

Will be watching and waiting to see that all is good! You three are in my thoughts!

Patrick & Eileen said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow....I am happy that you will get custody of Zoe tomorrow.

You will be in our thoughts!
Eileen & Pat

Jo said...

Tomorrow is so exciting to finally have your own agendas and no more waiting... just full contentments. Can't wait to see all three of you OUTSIDE!

Diana said...

Bob's the one that's the diplomat in our family. I (Diana) could never negotiate something like what you did. Bob on the other hand is very good at it.

Thinking good thoughts that Zoe's breakout is without incident.

Susan said...

TOMORROW, TOMORROW i love you TOMORROW
you're only a day a w a y!!!

I'm glad you "got her done"
My husband is our negioator. He is much better than I am.

Here's to a big happy family tomorrow for you.

Just like Annie and Daddy Warbucks. :)

Kelly and Sne said...

Congratulations for successfully negotiating custody (like was this really necessary???)! My husband is the one who is better at dealing with these things - I get too emotional. I'm hoping we won't have to argue with anyone over any part of the process, however. Forget about the annoyances and enjoy the anticipation of breaking Zoe Yerkezhan out!

keoghclan said...

Oh gosh - right down to the wire -eh? You are right, only if you have 'been there' and 'done that' do you fully 'get' what the goings on in international adoption can be like....and in particular Kaz. Having said that we are here to tell you that these 'hiccups' do fade in your memory as time goes on and you are home with your new addition.....they are replaced with new happy memories and an appreciation for what Kaz gave you - your new child.

I remember at one stage being on my own in Almaty with Orin while Dave was home in Toronto........my in country team would not give me answers on something (they knew I wasnt going to like the answers and in their words were 'afraid' to tell me. My husband ended up being my communicator here in Canada with our agency who had contact with my in-country team......logical......no, good business, heck no.........so our in-country team gave the answers to our questions to our agency in Toronto who in turn gave the answers to Dave in Toronto.....who in turn gave me the answers in Almaty, (again NOTE: I was in the same city as our in-country team and they would not give me the answers but I got them through my husband how many thousands of miles away!!)

Our best advise is this too will pass.Deep breaths, keep doing what you have been doing and play along, tomorrow you get to have your little pet with you FOREVER!! You are so so close guys......only hopefully another week and you will be heading home with your wee Kazakh princess.....I guess you are not interested in staying a day more than 9 weeks in Almaty so you can beat us??? - we were exactly 9 weeks there - okay......JOKE, so not funny - JOKE :-)

PS.......there is nothing like seeing the sign in Pearson that says 'Bienvenue Au Canada' when you get home......you are so 'nearly' there.

The Keogh's