Monday, 17 March 2008

We Are Zoe Yerkezhan’s Parents!

Our 15 day appeal period officially ended this weekend. This morning we picked up the official court decree. Two hours later we were holding the legal and official Certificate of Adoption of the lovely lady now known to the world as Zoe Yerkezhan Yeomans. The adoption is final. “We are family”! In case you have not been following our blog, officially, now, we are the very, very proud parents of a beautiful daughter. Mother and Father. Mum and Dad. Legally, anyway.

Unfortunately, our celebration today is slightly subdued because nothing has really changed except for the “official” piece of paper. We drove to the baby house at noon just like every other day. After playing with Zoe for a couple hours, we left the baby house without our daughter, just like every other day. The custody part still has us a tiny bit perplexed (putting it ever-so-mildly so as not to offend both sets of in-laws) as to how and why the rules are different at this baby house. So be it. This is an international adoption, after all – and in Kazakhstan (rationale, rules and regulations can always appear somewhat fluid in the process here). That being said, today was certainly another major milestone in this process. But we will save the big celebrating for the day we actually bring Zoe Yerkezhan home to live with us. Forever.

Little Miss Yeomans has a cold. She was in good spirits but did lots of sneezing, her nose did lots of running, and her breathing was a bit raspy. We are expecting a couple “down” days this week as a result. Time will tell. In spite of her cold, she took a couple more unassisted steps. And appeared happy and completely unfazed by her legal change in family status.

And on the Russian Front, today’s new phrase is: Ban-ka-mat syel ma-yu kar-tach-ku. Translated: The bankomat machine (ATM) took my card.

Apparently there is a reason foreign language phrasebooks contain some of those phrases that, at first glance, you do not see yourself ever using. Luckily we took our phrasebook this afternoon when we went to the ATM. Luckily we were right outside a bank where we could walk in and find someone to help. Luckily the phrase was written in both alphabets so I could simply point to the phrase after the teller was less than impressed with my rather liberal command of her native language. It worked! The teller smiled and I got my card back.

A little luck o’ the Irish, some might say.

While on the topic, St. Patrick’s Day is passing without a blink or notice in this part of the world (a circumstance which Julian and a good proportion of the world are apparently more than happy to live with). There may be acknowledgement at the local Irish pubs, but to the average Kazakh it is business as usual. Nevertheless, the local leprechauns have been busy trying to work some custody magic on our behalf. Time will tell whether their actions are of the mischievous nature or the lucky sort. For all we know, the rumors may be full of blarney. Stay tuned and we will keep you posted.





13 comments:

Chrissy and Russell said...

Super cute Zoe pictures (as usual!) You guys have a great camera! And CONGRATS on becoming OFFICIAL parents. What a bizarre thing... holding a piece of paper that makes you "official". The state where I live requires adoptive parents to become licensed foster parents. I remember the strange feeling that I got when the wallet-sized card came in the mail that made us "licensed, card-carrying parents." Weird.
Well, here's hoping for speedy and smooth document processing that allows you to bust Zoe out of the babyhouse soon!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all three of you! I hope Zoe feels better soon and that in no time you'll be together permanently.

KH

Aaron and Julie said...

Congratulations Mom & Dad!!!!! Now for all of the final papers to be done so that you can obtain custody & come home! You guys have a great attitude about the custody being delayed.

Sorry to hear about Zoe's cold :(. And your atm card fiasco! Thankfully you were able to get your card back. I lost $20 in a vending machine for an icard. (At Ramstore, don't use it :)

Tricia said...

Congratulations on your new official family status! We hope that you can take custody of Zoe soon and be able to do all of the things a family does.

Susan said...

Congrats indeed on becoming official parents. I'm sure that it's getting harder to be patient, as you're anxious to bust her out of the babyhouse and back home to Cananda! But, i will use that ole cliche phrase ..."good things come to those who wait".
I hope the time to take her away comes sooner rather than later.
I hope she feels better and conquers her cold.
Maybe you could go buy one of those pig heads and do a come home Zoe irish jig around it for good luck? :)

Catalina said...

Congratulations, parents! These rules are very strange, and I am sure you are so anxious to have her with you, but this will come soon! Sorry to hear Zoe has a cold, Yulia was sick too few days ago, she feels much better, I guess this is how they built their immunity!
"The bankomat machine (ATM) took my card" - so funny :) I did not learn it, but I guess I should! we can never know!

Amy said...

Congratulations!!! So happy for both of you!!! Can't wait for the day you get to take her home for good!!

keoghclan said...

Congrats to the Yeomans family. What a great day to get the adoption decree - St. Patricks day. Being a born and bred Paddy I have to say it is NOT POSSIBLE to ignore the day - we won't allow it ;-) Went to a house party Saturday night with other ex-pats. Orin looked positively Irish in his Ireland rugby shirt! and then yesterday we went to the parade....glad to be able to say it was a beautiful day in T.O. bright sunshine, not too cold and NO SNOW!!!

I really hope that something goes your way and that you get custody of Zoe soon, soon, soon.

The Keogh Clan.

marsrob said...

HOORAY!!! CONGRATS!!! SO WONDERFUL!!! So frustrating, we imagine, not to be able to take the little one home forever yet...what a TOTAL drag. To put it mildly. You must be going crazy! Well, at least this is one HUGE step forward...it is legal! YAY!!!

Sandi said...

Congratulations Mum and Dad. I am so happy for you guys and I can't wait until you can bust her out of the baby house and into our house forever.

Its so close to being over. I'm routing for you.
sandi

Karen said...

Congratulations mama and papa. A big milestone for you, getting that official paper--so very happy to hear it. But I'll be even happier once I read that baby Zoe is home safe with you. Praying that happens real soon.

Give your little cutie a hug for us!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You'll be home soon with your new daughter!!!!

Kelly and Sne said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful news in spite of the anti-climax. That piece of paper is like gold.