Friday, 16 January 2009

Happy Birthday #2

As we mentioned in our previous post, Zoe's actual birthday was fairly low key. (If you call playing with friends, blowing out candles and opening gifts low key!) We invited some friends over for a Tofurky dinner on Wednesday as a second birthday celebration, this time including cake and ice cream. Zoe was willing to keep on celebrating.

All this celebrating, however, makes the little ones tired. A rare glare! For the dinner celebration, we dressed Zoe in the Kazakh vest we purchased in Almaty. We were trying to get her to pose for a photo (an impossibility at the best of times) in the vest and she reacted with a little temper. Most often we get a simple "no" when she doesn't want to do something. But now that she is 2, she is working up to showing and telling her displeasure with such requests. The little temper was quickly forgotten after a little rest with Bear. Zoe helped herself to our guests' shoes by the door. Bob's size 12 proved to be the biggest challenge and, thus, the most fun. The birthday cake! Zoe learned to say "Smarties" while eating her cake. Smarties are a Canadian version of M&M's and a new favourite of Zoe's! Luckily she hasn't discovered the stash where Mum is storing the extras that wouldn't fit on the cake.

7 comments:

Jo said...

Happy Birthday Zoe!

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Happy Birthday Zoe! Your cake is really cute!! They sure grow up in a hurry! Gena Lloyd (Berik's mom)

Anonymous said...

Sara - Okay, Zoe's adorable even when she is displeased!

Two things other than the adorableness of your daughter struck me as I read this post. First and foremost, you are a MUM. I mean, I knew you were a Mom, or Mama, or Mommy, but it hadn't occured to me that you are a Mum. I should have guessed since you spell things like color funny now :) Mum just sounds cuter than Mom anyway.

Secondly, I never knew what a fantastic cake decorator you are. I knew you could cut paper into an amazing horse, so I guess the creativity shows itself in many venues. Super cute cake!!

:) KH

Jennifer said...

What an amazing looking cake, oh my!

Zoe is so beautiful! I love that hair.

Kelly and Sne said...

What a beautiful cake! Zoe is even cute when she's mad (which will probably someday make her madder!).

Catalina said...

Happy Birthday, Zoe!! sorry for the delay! i was just thinking of her yesterday when i drove home, i rememebered that she was born 2 weeks before Yulia. So many things changed in ayear! She is adorable! And such a beautiful cake! Yummy!....

Susan said...

what an adorable cake!!! I love it!! and the smarties look tasty too..Zoe is a "smart one" and she might find your stash. I cannot eat ANYTHING without my sidekick clamoring for some. :)

I Love her vest. Leeza has a couple cute lil vests I found too. I will have to drag those out when she turns 2.
I'm impressed Zoe just now had her first tantrum...what a sweetie you have.
Leeza now stomps her feet with her tantrums...and she is only 16 months. What will happen when she is 2? oh no! :)

I love her hair-she gets more beauitful everyday. :)