Tuesday, 14 October 2008

Vote, Vote, Vote!

Canada is holding a federal election today. As a recent immigrant and even newer citizen, this is my (Sara’s) first turn to vote federally, though I was able to vote in a provincial election last fall. Zoe accompanied me to the polling station this morning and assisted by inserting the ballot into the slot in the top of the ballot box. It was her first Canadian voting experience as well.

Voting was so much fun that I decided to do it again this afternoon. I completed my absentee ballot for the upcoming US election (I have dual US/Canada citizenship). This afternoon Zoe and I walked to the post office where she once again assisted by pushing the envelope through the mail slot.

In order to vote responsibly, I have had to learn about an entirely new system of government than the one I grew up with. (And there is nothing like moving to a new country to highlight many of the things you do not know about your native government as well!) Canada is governed by a parliamentary system in which elections can be called at any point in time rather than held on fixed dates as in the US. Once an election is called, the election date must be scheduled within a matter of weeks. Technically, parties are not to campaign except during the election. How refreshing after coming from the US where the campaigning goes on forever and gets nastier and nastier as time passes.


Another difference that I find refreshing is that Canada has five major federal parties (i.e. five parties are currently represented in parliament). Our debates this fall consisted of five leaders sitting around a table actually debating. With five parties there is often an array of options offered to solve problems and sometimes two or more parties actually agree with each other (gasp). That is not to say it is a perfect system or without its frustrations. It is politics, after all! Rather, it is as interesting to learn about and participate in a new system of government as it is to be able to observe my “old” government from outside the borders. I am proud to be a citizen of both countries and proud to cast my vote in each.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if at the end of the voting day we could know with certainty that our leaders were elected by ALL of us? Help get out the vote.

Enough about government and politics. Here are pictures of our future voter!
Sometimes one just needs to stop and hug.
Here she is trying to insert the green lace into her boot (in spite of the boot already having laces). She is entirely focused on the task and kept leaning over farther and farther to better see the eyelet where she wanted the lace to go. So much so that a second after this photo was snapped, she toppled over completely.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

How neat you get to vote in both country's elections, and learn the differences. I like the idea of 5 instead of 2. It seems so much less polarizing!

Cute shoelace story. It made me smile.

Patrick & Eileen said...

How neat! I've never done an absentee ballot before....I didn't get mine in time before leaving for Kaz. I am disappointed.

Loved the Zoe pics!

Eileen