Wednesday, 30 January 2008

Tag - I'm it.

I’ve been tagged!

This is how one plays blog tag:

Link to the person who tagged you and leave a comment on their blog so their readers can visit yours. Post the rules on your blog. Share 7 strange/weird facts about yourself. Tag 7 random people at the end of your post, linking their blog. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Okay, here goes.

The wonderful person who tagged me was Catalina. She and her husband are adopting from Arkalyk, Kazakhstan. They are in the final stages of waiting and hope to travel very soon. Check out their blog at
http://catabaia.blogspot.com/. Note, their blog will soon go private.

Seven things about me are:

1. I took up running at age 30 and ran my first marathon six months later. It was also my last marathon!
2. We don’t have cable TV. By choice.
3. I grew up on a cattle ranch and began showing cattle and horses at age 8.
4. I don’t like cherry cough drops, cherry cough syrup, cherry candy, or anything cherry flavored or cherry scented. For me, the smell is even worse than the taste.
5. I’ve visited 27 countries on 5 continents and have walked across the Equator and the Arctic Circle.
6. I was attacked by a flock of aggressive birds as I walked across the Arctic Circle. Julian stood back and laughed.
7. I hold citizenship in two countries. Julian holds citizenship in two countries. Our Kazakh son or daughter will also be a citizen of two countries. The only common citizenship is Canadian. All three of us will have been born not only in different countries (none of which is Canada), but on different continents. Given that Toronto is reputed to be the world’s most multicultural city, we fit right in!

Now it’s my turn to tag seven people. Sports and athletics were never my forte. One would think blog tag would be more suited to someone like me. However, after quickly stalking a few of the adoption blogs on my list, it seems that most of the regulars have already been tagged by someone else. I’m having grade school P.E. flashbacks. I’m “it” and can’t catch anybody else. And the bell signalling the end of class just won’t ring....

Then it hits me. I have the perfect excuse. We’re leaving in 48 hours! With final “to do” list in hand, I beg permission to gracefully bow out of the final obligation of finding and tagging seven other presumably as-of-yet-untagged bloggers.

In keeping with the spirit of promoting other blogs, however, here are a few blogs I’ve recently discovered. They are all families who are currently in Kazakhstan or are between trips. They obviously don’t have time to play tag but we can all tag along (pun intended) from the sidelines.

http://operationkazakhstan.blogspot.com/ - met their son in Karaganda on Jan. 24.

http://www.buettners.org/blogstuff/blog.html - adoption almost complete, returning to the US this week.

http://bridgetsadoptionjourney.blogspot.com/ - met her son on Jan. 21.

http://davidsonadoption.blogspot.com/ - an Irish couple that have experienced more delays than all of us put together. They finally met their daughter yesterday!

http://qcpetresblog.blogspot.com/ - adopting a daughter from Almaty, currently between trips.

http://trektokaz.blogspot.com/ - met her daughter in Almaty on Jan. 9.

Happy blogging!

6 comments:

Kelly and Sne said...

That's funny about the birds! I'm sure you'll have equally "really funny once you get home and look back on it" events in Kazakhstan that make up the really good memories! Have a wonderful trip!

Amy said...

Wow you are impressive!!! I can't believe you are leaving in two days and you managed to list your seven things!! By the way I absolutely hate the taste of cherry flavored anything too! It is awful! But I love black cherries which taste nothing like cherry flavored things - and I can even stomach the occasional maraschino cherry - but not too many. YOU'RE GOING TO ALMATY!!!!!

Kim & Jamie said...

The visual image of the birds is funny. I am sure not at the time, but it is funny:) My husband hates birds and the pigeons near our place love to dive bomb him!! I crack up, but he doesn't appreciate it all:)

I can't believe you leave it two days! That is fantastic! I can't wait to read all about your journey!!

Best wishes and have fun:)

Regina said...

Wow, when you say multicultural family you mean it!

Thanks for sharing in the little game. It's been fun to find out this kind of information.

Not quit horsing around (or should I say cattling around?) and get to packing!

I hope your trip is smooth and safe.

Catalina said...

How lucky you are to have the chance to travel around the world. Wow! This is very impressive. I only traveled in 8 countries, most of them in Europe, close to my oountry. Unfortunately, when I had time, I had no passport (communism time), when I got the passport, I had no money, now I got a passport and some money, but there is no time :). However, we are trying to discover a new place every year.
I love the story with the birds attack. This is exactly what my darling husband would do in a similar situation :).
I am very happy for you, I wish you a safe and wonderful travel. My thoughts will be with you.

Amy said...

It is 2 hours my time from Feb 1st!!! Just in case you don't get a chance to post before you head out I wanted to say safe and speedy travels to Almaty!!! And one more thing....YEAAAAAHHHHHH!!! GO get that baby!!!