However, anyone who has traveled with a laptop knows that they quickly become heavy and cumbersome. To the point of being a burden. Imagine our delight when we discovered an ASUS Eee PC mini-laptop for around $300! It's approximately 6 x 8 inches, fits inside a purse or large coat pocket, and weighs next to nothing. It won't replace our other laptop but it's perfect for toting around town in search of prime wireless hotspots. We got it at The Source (Circuit City in the U.S.).
Here it is next to our regular laptop.

Here it is with the books I (Sara) am planning to take to Kaz.
Granted these books are larger than normal, in thickness anyway. (And I'm thinking I just might forget to pack War and Peace.) But it's still a tiny computer.Enough about computers.
Today was my last day volunteering at the zoo until we return from Kaz. I was glad I had my camera with me when our baby snow leopards appeared for a morning romp in the snow. They were born this summer and are now almost as big as their mother, but much more playful.
Here's one of the cubs peeking out from behind a snow-covered rock.
These animals are known for their magnificent tails. To keep warm in cold Kazakhstani winters, they simply wrap their luscious tails around themselves.

Here's Mom keeping an ever watchful eye out.
Snow leopards are indigenous to the mountains of central Asia, including those around Almaty. Unfortunately, we are unlikely to see any during our visit there, even if we were to venture into the mountains. One reason is that they are good at hiding. Another reason is that there are not many of them left. Their biggest threats are habitat loss and poachers.
Luckily the Snow Leopard Trust (http://www.snowleopard.org/) is working to protect the snow leopard and its habitat. One of their approaches is to partner with communities who share the animal's habitat and provide alternative income opportunities. They have engaged local herding families in a handicraft program which provides training and equipment to the herders who make handmade products out of the wool from their livestock. The Trust purchases these products from the families, which helps enable children to go to school, buy food, and have access to medicines.
In turn, we can purchase these products from the Trust and contribute to the preservation of the beautiful snow leopard while outfitting our Kazakh kiddies in cute clothing, some of it handmade in the region of their birth. :)



7 comments:
Man! That computer is small and inexpensive! How cool is that? Almost ... disposable!
The snow leopards are so beautiful, too sad they are not free to run as much as they want and have to stay in a ZOO. Its nice you can give your help.
War and Peace is one of my favorites, and I love so much Anna Karenina too, I can read it again and again.
I love the picture of the watchful mother. Her eyes are very expressive.
that laptop is cool.
Hey, check out amazon.com if you want something else cool and smaller than your books. We got my dad a "kindle reader" for Christmas. You can download books on it for a fraction of the price. Its really neat. He LOVES IT! I'm not sure if they are readily available yet, i know we ordered his at thanksgiving and got it by Christmas. I thought it would be neat to take to Kaz. But, they're like $400 and i'd rather upgrade my camera,so I am not sure if I will get one.
The snow leopards are cool...love the booties.
We cannot wait to follow you guys to Almaty. :)
That's a cool laptop. What a great idea. I hated carrying around our laptop in Almaty. Those are beautiful pictures of the snow leopards. Thanks for sharing them. Good luck!
Oh gosh it is coming close :-) Tick, tock, tick, tock!! I presume you know about Cafedelia (or was it coffeedelia) on Can Ban By Barter street (not far from the Opera house in Almaty) Our apt., was less than 10 minute walk from there and we spent many the hour in there. Our Ashling STILL talks about the cookies.....little monster had them all the time there and they were delicious.
Are the snow leopards at Toronto Zoo? We used to have membership there but did not renew the last couple of years......we must do it again this year.....we have had many the wonderful day there.
Enjoy your laptop.........it's very practical. We found most people who go to Almaty walk the legs off themselves........ we kept meeting the same people as we walked around town!!
You must be so excited about travelling. We are excited for you, it will be lovely to have another Kaz cutie home in Toronto.
Warm regards
Dave, Mary, Ashling and Orin K.
How are you so calm???? Are you having a little nip here and there? You do realize you are traveling in like two days right? ; ) Maybe you get calmer as the time approaches, is that it? Good luck to both of you in Almaty!! Will be watching to see what unfolds for you.
Post a Comment