Saturday, 3 July 2010

Wisconsin Vacation

With Kazapalooza being held in Wisconsin this year (see blog dated June 25), we took full advantage of the trip and spent extra time with Sara's family. Sara and Zoe went early to visit Sara's sister and family in La Crosse. Zoe was in her glory with so many cousins to play with! She hit the ground running and didn't stop for the duration.

Zoe and Norah making Father's Day cards.
Where there are older cousins, there are bikes and scooters and all sorts of fun toys. Zoe has been wanting to ride a scooter for a while. She got her chance and did quite well for all of two minutes before realizing it was difficult and moving on to something else.
Zoe had lots of help getting ready for bed.
A bright eyed and bushy tailed trio appeared the next morning.
We dodged the rain showers and took a hike out through the marsh.
A snake shed discovered along the path provided a wonderful touching opportunity for all.
Next stop, a playground.
Zoe helped Norah practice the piano that evening.
Clara, Norah, and Zoe posed for a few pictures before bed.
The girls entertained themselves while Ian was at baseball practice. (Ian managed to escape every photo opportunity during this trip.)
Grandma and Aunt Erin join in.
From La Crosse we headed back to Sara's parents' and brother's farm where Julian joined us for a day before we headed to Milwaukee and Kazapalooza. Following Kazapalooza, we returned to the farm for another week of cousins, cousins, cousins with a couple grandparents, and aunts and uncles thrown in for good measure!

Here is the beautiful view from Sara's parents' kitchen window.
Ty is the cousin closest in age to Zoe (just eight months older than her). On past trips he has been shy with Zoe and hesitant to play with her. But they hit it off famously on this trip!
Zoe helped Grandma hang out laundry.
Paige had the honour of being the first person ever to paint Zoe's nails -hands and toes! It is not something we plan to make a habit of, but Zoe was thoroughly delighted.
Zoe managed to keep up with her Gaffney cousins (Sara's brother's kids), Ty, Kelly, Bree, and Paige. Zoe refers to all of her cousins (seven in total) collectively as "my Gaffney kids" though the four pictured below are the only ones with the Gaffney name. Individually she refers to them as her friend(s).Zoe acquainting herself with the farm's young donkey.
Last year Zoe preferred to admire the livestock from afar. This year she willingly braved a peek from atop.
How many cousins fit on a slide?
Busily baking mud pies and cakes and muffins and soup...
Zoe helping Grandma pick spinach in the garden.

Zoe did amazingly well for two weeks of constant stimulation and late nights between three different locations with a few side trips thrown in. True to her nature, she performs best when on the go. And she loves to be on the go!! On our last morning in Wisconsin (the day we were to fly home), she woke crying "I don't want to go back to my house." A sign of a great vacation!

7 comments:

China Dreams said...

Beautiful photos, especially the ones of the three girls. Looks almost like summer camp :-)

Karen said...

What a delightful trip. All those girl cousins doting on her—Zoe must've been in heaven.

D and A said...

Cousins are very important! Zoe is getting bigger - I love those curls!

Jennifer said...

Wow! Can I go vacation at Sara's parents house too? What a fabulous place. Gorgeous views, and lots of good "down home" activities to do, and COUSINS!! The pictures are fabulous, Zoe is adorable as usual, and while I'm disappointed that we were only able to chat for 5 minutes, I'm glad we had that!

dnd82001 said...

Sounds & looks like great times!!

Darlene

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Gosh, I love Canadians! Those are awesome pj's!!!! What kiddo would not want to wear them.

I hope you all are doing well. As you can tell, I've slowly gotten a bit of control back over my life, or as least as much as I think I'll ever regain. hah.

Any news about your return trip to Kaz land? I sent photos of Griffin to his babyhouse with a traveling family. I can't wait to hear their reaction.

Ok, the munchkins are waking up from naps. Gotta run. Take care!!!!

Baby Kaz Moore said...

I was talking with another single mom who is in Kaz right now and she mentioned that her soon to be son has curly hair, and that she had never seen any Kaz kiddos with curly hair. I instantly thought of beautiful Zoe and told her about Zoe. Alas, this little tiger won't be a Canadian, however. He'll be moving to the sunny state of Florida. All the best, Susan