Julian has been away on business for the past week giving me a brief, experiential glimpse into the hectic, non-stop, often lonely world of single motherhood. Julian is an equal partner in our housekeeping and in the care of Zoe. Plus he takes full responsibility for the care of Chengis. His absence was a gentle reminder of how much I appreciate him.
The week began with an eerie sense of déjà vu. It felt very much like those first days after we returned from Kazakhstan with an active, toddling girl and no clue how to be parents. Just as we got up to speed in the parenting game, we also settled into a new routine this week that incorporated two LONG walks with Chengis every day as well as everything else that needed to be done and accommodate a little girl who didn’t want to go to sleep without Daddy. (If there was ever a week when Mommy needed Zoe to take her naps and go to bed on time, this was it!) The week is ending with a mix of exhaustion, empowerment and relief.
My week of "single" motherhood comes to an end in a few short hours when we head to the airport to meet Julian. I am happy, Zoe is very excited, but Chengis is the one who will be over the moon when Julian walks through that door.
My hat is off to all of the single mothers out there who have perfected the routines and survive the exhaustion week in and week out. Parenting is not an easy job, period. Those of you who fly solo all of the time are truly amazing!
----------
This week involved lots of juggling, including keeping Zoe entertained while trying to get myself ready in the morning. One particular morning I walked into the bathroom to find that Zoe had put a tablecloth on the table and pulled up a chair.
Sit. Stay! A command I uttered often this week - to both charges. This is one of the rare moments they listened in unison.
12 comments:
:-) Your post brought a big smile. Early on, I realized that it's okay if the house is a bit messier, I wear summer clothes in the winter with a few more layers, and eating out restaurants is a priority within the budget! And wahlah, I've maintained my sanity.
Adorable photos of Zoe!!!!!!! It's always a joy to read your blog.
Best, Susan
Happy Birthday Sara.
I agree single mothers are truly amazing. I think about Bob's mom who single handedly raised him while working FT back in the 50's. I've had a couple of single mommy weeks and they were draining—keeping up with Garrett while working full-time was quite the juggling act.
Happy Mother's Day—and especially to all those single moms out there. You are special beyond compare.
She gets cuter everyday. I especially love the picture at the toilet with Thomas on top.
Happy Birthday!
Isn't that the truth! I always had a huge amount of respect for single parents, but man did it hit home the first time Adam went away. I remember having the same realization as you.
Glad you two ladies survived your ladies only week, and I am happy for all of you that Julian is home.
And Happy Happy Birthday!!!
PS- Love the pic of Zoe in the hole at the park. Adorable.
Happy Birthday Sara!
I bet you are glad that your partner is home. It makes life a lot simpler. Craig's been busy working late only a few days this week so I am on my own with 2 kids, going to dance and trying to juggle naps and bedtime. I fully agree with what you say about single moms!
Happy Mother's Day!!
Sue
As a single mom...THANKS! Some days/weeks it can get a bit tiring...but all in all...it is still an amazing opportunity! Looks like you 2 girls had a great week together---enjoy YOUR mother's day!
Quaintance
happy Mother's Day to you Sara....and happy birthday a bit late.
I am still hoping to become a single mom but thanks for the tribute to those who already are.
I second that - I am exhausted when Sne travels and leaves me to care for Miras and the dogs and cats! It makes me extra appreciative that he shares in their care 50-50 (ok, well 40-60 but it is much more than some of my girlfriends' husbands do!).
Happy Birthday!
As a single mom, I thank you from the bottom of my heart! Being "in charge" 24/7 is a daunting task, but priorities do get straightened out pretty quickly!
I spent much of my time waiting for my own "gotcha day" with my daughter by reading wonderful blogs like yours for inspiration. Thanks so much for all the insights and information.
My daughter also lived in Baby House No 2 in Almaty, and I reread your entries recently with interest. She was born just after you and the lovely Ms. Zoe officially became a family and came to her forever home at the end of February 2009.
What a beautiful girl you have! All the best for your next adoption.
You made me smile - a very sweet post. And glad you survived! And that photo of Zoe at the toilet is PRICELESS!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! i love your shirt and cool matching necklace. :)
and I love how your adorable daughter put the tablecloth on the table. :)
I concur-being a single mom is hard work. Joe is working a lot and doesn't get home until later-but at least he COMES home. :) I, too, admire and am amazed at my successful single mommy friends. :)
Great update-Zoe and Chengis are darling. I often feel like I have 2 kids during the day when Sean is at school-Leeza and Miles. :) and If I try to sit in Joe's chair..Miles will bark incessantly until i GET OUT OF IT. It's pretty funny. :)
Sara,
As a single mom to Nicholas, age 3 from Ust Kam, this post finally prompted me to come out from lurkdom. I have been following your blog since you were in Kaz adopting beautiful, wonderful Zoe but was just so touched by your words.
The funny (maybe) thing is, as a single parent, I don't know any better. It seems, at least for me, that I don't seem to miss what I don't have. I really don't know how wonderful it might be to have a second set of hands or partner to bounce thoughts off of so I just go about my business and get the job done. Most of the time I try to view things with a glass half full rather than half empty perspective - after all, I get to do everything my way!
In any event, there's no question that adopting Nicholas as a single parent is the most important and fulfilling thing I have ever done in my life - even after spending the better part of my life on ambitious educational and career pursuits. To me, parenting without a partner certainly beats never parenting at all. And the rewards always exceed the most trying of times.
Even on my most challenging days, and yes, there are plenty of them, I thank God for the gift of Nicholas. Being his Mom is truly a blessing.
Best, Pam and Nicholas
b. 7/10/05 Ust Kam
a. 4/12/06
Post a Comment