Sunday, 17 February 2008

Sunday Out On The Town – Horsing Around

Our day began over breakfast with the lovely Amy from Chicagoland and her travelling companions, Bill and Dana Spyker, also from Chicago. The Spykers and Amy are headed to Ust today and hope to meet their children tomorrow. We sent them off with hugs and good wishes and will be following their respective blogs as closely as our dial-up connections allow. Amy is at http://adoption2007.wordpress.com/ and the Spykers are at http://babyspyker.blogspot.com/.

Proof that Amy was here.

From Amy’s hotel, we headed to the Green Market, Almaty’s wonderful bazaar filled with vendors of everything imaginable. We spent a couple hours wandering up and down the various aisles tantalizing our senses with the sights, smells and sounds. No doubt we will make this a weekly outing for fresh fruits and vegetables as many of the grocery stores are severely lacking in this department.

Naturally there was a large meat hall. All the favorite animals are represented and no body part is left out. Yes, we were drawn to the horse aisle where we came upon a woman stuffing pieces of meat into an intestine. Voila, horse sausage. She agreed to have her photo taken. Note to vegetarians – you may want to skip the next few photos!




Following are a few photos taken on our way back from the Green Market.


Julian and his fascination with garbage. :)

Apparently not everybody in Kazakhstan dresses in dark colors.

Just up the street from our apartment is a zoo. Or at least a vacant looking building with a zoo sign on it.

8 comments:

Sandi said...

How amazing that you have had the opportunity to meet some fellow bloggers, it is so cool. I love the pictures of the market and of the town, looks like you guys are enjoying your time.

I land in Almaty on March 9th at 5:45 am but I have no clue how long I will be in Almaty. Maybe we will get to cross paths too

Sandi

Amy said...

Thanks for taking the time and coming by to our hotel! It was wonderful to meet the two of you! We have landed in Ust and are at our hotel! Thanks again for the wonderful conversation this morning! It was this morning right? LOL

Matthew Ruley said...

I LOVE seeing the blogging families that I read about cross paths and meet up in Kaz. Its so cool to have this online community - of resourses, explorers, researchers, and friends.

I really feel like when I get half way around the world from home, that I will meet up with friends to. How coll is that? Way cool!

Kelly and Sne said...

That's great that you've been able to hook up with several families. The advantage to being in Almaty, I guess. And your camera (or the photographer?) really does take great photos!

Karen said...

How cool is that to finally meet your blogger friends face to face? We'll be in Almaty on March 2nd and staying the night. Will you still be there? If so, it would be fun to meet. Let us know—karen_pere@yahoo.com or leave word on our blog.

Catalina said...

This is great you met Amy, it must have been so fun to meet blogger friends! I already saw the picture of her beautiful daughter in her blog!
Your pictures from the market are so beautiful! Good luck, an other day is coming with sweet Zoe!

Angela said...

Looks like a lot of fun (except for the horse sausage)! I hope that you have had time to check Amy's blog.

Tasha Kent said...

I have got to get me one of those colorful snowsuits!