Warm Christmas wishes to all who share our blog!
We would like to thank everyone so much for their kind comments and emails this week. Our house is strangely empty and quiet, though we will no doubt still find dog hair stuck to our clothes, in corners and under the furniture for months to come. At least our little one will get to experience that part of Charger! Since both of us work mostly from home in jobs that allow flexible time, Charger was very much a part of our daily (sometimes hourly) routines. On some days, the routines revolved solely around him and his walks, meals, tricks, games and treats. During these last few days we have become all too aware of how much extra time we now have on our hands. Too bad we got all of our Christmas preparations out of the way early just in case we got called to Kazakhstan! After a day or two of cocooning, we ventured out to the movies and have done so each day since. The inherent upheaval of the holidays has provided a nice distraction, though we are looking forward to getting back to work and adoption matters once the holidays are over.
Speaking of adoption, we met with our agency yesterday. What we now know is best summed up by paraphrasing Julian’s favourite American poet philosopher. There are known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns. The difficult part is determining which category our travel dates and ultimate destination belong in. Our January 10th or 14th travel dates that were pretty certain last week have become “hopefully by mid-January” and “hopefully to Almaty.”
We are still up against the registration anomaly alluded to in a previous blog entry. (Children in Almaty somehow fell through the requisite registration cracks recently. There is an ongoing delay while these children are re-registered.) Our agency is hopeful and has told us to pack our bags and be ready to travel on a moment’s notice as early as mid-January. At the same time, there are no guarantees and there is still a chance that we could be further delayed and/or moved to another region within Kazakhstan.
Frustrating? Perhaps. But we knew to expect the unexpected, particularly where delays were involved. We are confident that our agency is working hard on our behalf and that many elements are beyond their control. It’s all part of the adventure when one chooses the road less travelled!
There is a bit of good news amidst all of the grey areas. As of this week, Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) have changed the rules regarding the citizenship of children adopted abroad by Canadian parents. Now such children will automatically receive Canadian citizenship without having to go through the immigration process (i.e. attaining permanent residence status before applying for citizenship, etc., etc.). The ruling is new enough that many procedural changes have yet to be explained. However, we anticipate that this will speed up and simplify our adoption process in Kazakhstan by relieving some of the previous processing requirements that involved files being couriered to Moscow and London. This is good.
So that is what we now know. Or not as the case may be.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!
8 comments:
Merry Christmas to you.
I am glad to hear that some news of what may be is coming in - just having an open discussion with those who are more in the know is helpful. I hope that things become much more clear this week, and that things move smoothly for you.
This is very exciting and we are very happy for you and lookforward to your journey. If you decide to go private, please do invite us to continue to read. Thank you!
This is great news for you two. My heart still is with you over the loss of Charger. I hope this coming year brings you much joy, happiness, and baby!
Blessings to you both,
Jill
Hi guys. Sara I just sent you an email. So sorry to hear about Charger. I have not logged into your BLOG recently.
Keep the faith and you will hear soon.......the statement about be prepared to travel at short notice is true.....we found out on a Thursday we would be travelling the next Tuesday!!! 5 sleeps to get ready!! :-) looking back it was the best way to do it!
The Keogh Clan
Hi guys. Sara I just sent you an email. So sorry to hear about Charger. I have not logged into your BLOG recently.
Keep the faith and you will hear soon.......the statement about be prepared to travel at short notice is true.....we found out on a Thursday we would be travelling the next Tuesday!!! 5 sleeps to get ready!! :-) looking back it was the best way to do it!
The Keogh Clan
I am so sorry for Charger, I can understand how much you miss him, is very hard. If would have been even much harder if you have lost him while in Kazakhstan.
I also spoke with my agency and they are telling me the same thing. Be ready for middle of January - however, nothing is for sure. Honestly, I can not imagine how this can be possible.
I am sure you know, but I didn`t(or I simply forgot) - make sure you update your medical form must be at least 3 months old and FBI report - 6 months old (by the court date). Good luck to you, Catalina
Hi there! I have been thinking about you both a lot and hope that your spirits are recovering a bit from the loss of your sweet Charger. It takes time and I still have moments (mostly in the car for some reason) when it hits me again and it is very hard. I try to follow up those moments with good memories and that makes it somewhat easier.
I will continue to send positive energy your way and hope that each day that passes makes the sadness fade and the happy memories grow stronger.
I am very excited for you regarding your news and impending travel. I am waiting with bated breath for the day when you finally travel and meet your newest family member. Your friend in Illinois.
Hope you get to travel very soon. You have a great attitude about possible having to change regions. Good for you. :)
I'm so sorry to hear about Charger. What a sweet puppy! (My dog's 12 and I still call her "puppy".) I know how you feel about finding dog hair around you for many weeks/months. When I used to travel for long stints abroad, I'd find my dog's hair in my suitcase and purposely leave it someplace in a foreign country. Weird, I know, but it made me feel like she was with me, and I could tell her that a piece of her was all the way in New Zealand!
Best of luck to you as you await your happy phone call with travel dates!
Post a Comment